[Coral-List] Dying Corals in Costa Rica

Tanya Buxton tanyambuxton at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 14 20:02:59 EDT 2007

Dying Corals in Costa Rica

In northwestern Costa Rica in the Gulf of Papagayo, Guanacaste a shocking amount of coral has bleached over the past month.  All the dive sites surrounding the towns of Playas del Coco, Playa Hermosa, Playa Ocotal and Bahia Culebra have been affected, while reefs along the coast but miles from this area seem to be ok.  There have been massive amounts of coastal development in this area over the past few years, especially this past year, and some are speculating that the runoff and chemical fertilizers from this development could possibly be contributing to the coral deaths.  The water temperatures average throughout the year between 64 °F – 84 °F and often visibility is limited due to large amounts of plankton in the water, but this is normal.  The town has thriving diving and fishing industries.

If you know anyone who would be interested in helping us learn why our corals are dying please contact us or let us know who we might be able to contact for assistance.

Thank you,
Tanya

diving at ocotaldiving.com
tanyambuxton at yahoo.com