[Coral-List] Oil and coral drilling

Gene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Tue Oct 30 12:05:00 EDT 2007

Grape seed oil works just fine as  hydraulic fluid for hydraulic
drills. It comes in 5 gal cans. The biggest worry is a high pressure
hose bursting while drilling. In 30 some-odd years of drilling we
never had that happen, but it could. I wouldn't worry about a little
lubricant on the equipment. It is likely less threat to corals than
suntan cream on the divers body. Back before staghorn coral was
threatened you could submerge it in Louisiana crude oil for 1.5 hrs,
put it back in the water and it would live.  A little grease on your
tool is not likely to damage the reef.  Gene
--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor