[Coral-List] Diploria spawning

Juan Torres jltorres38 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 6 09:20:04 EDT 2007

Hi all,
Last night several colonies of Diploria strigosa located at Cerro Gordo
Beach, Dorado, Puerto Rico spawned around 9:30pm. These colonies are located
at around 1-3m depth. While we did not see any other species releasing the
gamete bundles, we do not discard this. The Diploria colonies released only
a few bundles each. Yet, we did see many bundles at and near the water
surface. Unfortunately, we did not collect any. The few Montastraea
faveolata colonies present at the reef site did not show any signs of
spawning at least during the time we were at the area (between
9:00-10:30pm).
Saludos,
Juan

<BR>University of Puerto Rico <BR>Río Piedras Campus <BR>Department of
Biology <BR>PO Box 23360 <BR>San Juan, PR 00931-3360</P>
<P>787(764-0000) Ext. 4881</P></div></html>