[Coral-List] MPA criteria of design

Linda Pikula Linda.Pikula at noaa.gov
Tue Sep 25 12:42:17 EDT 2007

Sophie,

NOAA also maintains a Web site that provides access to the inventory
<http://www3.mpa.gov/mpa_lib/virtual_library.aspx>, as well as access to
a Virtual Library on MPAs
<http://www3.mpa.gov/mpa_lib/virtual_library.aspx>. Included in the
inventory are the 13 national marine sanctuaries, managed directly by
NOS, 27 national estuarine research reserves, managed by states in
partnership with NOS, and data on many coastal and Great Lakes states
(data collection for states is ongoing). NOAA Fisheries, the U.S. Fish
and Wildlife Service, and the National Park Service manage other MPAs
listed in the inventory. The Web site also provides information on how
MPAs are classified
<http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/redir.cgi?url=http://www.mpa.gov/pdf/helpful-resources/factsheets/final_class_system_1206.pdf>,
as well as descriptive case studies
<http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/redir.cgi?url=http://mpa.gov/helpful_resources/case_studies.html>
on selected MPAs

Also, the NOAA website
http://www.oceanservice.noaa.gov/topics/oceans/mpa/welcome.html

   Linda Pikula, NOAA Regional Library Miami -