[Coral-List] English

Douglas Fenner dfenner at blueskynet.as
Thu Apr 3 03:37:01 EDT 2008

Jim,   Good point.
      A second good reason for descent English from those who are native speakers is because coral-list is global, and there are a large number of people on coral-list who are not native English speakers, and they need to be able to understand what people are saying.  They are doing us English speakers the huge favor of communicating in English instead of their own native tongues so we can understand (and English is as hard for them as their language would be for us!), so let's do our part to not make it difficult for them to understand us.
      Keep up the good work!  -Doug

"The areas of biggest concern for the immediate future are apex predators at the top, because they are globally so rare, and corals at the bottom, because of their continuing decline, apparent vulnerability to even modest local human impacts, and extreme sensitivity to all aspects of global change. Both risk extinctions if nothing is done to halt their global downward trajectories." Knowlton, N. and J.B.C. Jackson, 2008. Shifting baselines, local impacts, and global change on coral reefs. PLOS Biology 6: 215-220.