[Coral-List] Open Access

Hiroya Yamano hyamano at nies.go.jp
Thu Apr 24 13:04:59 EDT 2008

Dear Coral Listers,

I appreciate Dr Richard Dunne for listing Galaxea as one of the
publications on coral reef work. As Editor-in-Chief of Galaxea, I would
like to let you know about the current situation surrounding Galaxea.

Galaxea is an official journal for the Japanese Coral Reef Society, but
contributions from non-members (and of course, non-Japanese) are highly
appreciated.
http://wwwsoc.nii.ac.jp/jcrs/english/index.html

The editors are now trying to make Galaxea to be an open-access journal
from this year. In these years, Japanese Government encouraged Japanese
academic societies to publish their journals electrically, and has set up a
free on-line publication system (with links to international journals via
CrossRef, PubMed, etc.) called J-STAGE. Though it costs to format papers
and to make their pdfs, the system itself is free. Currently 471 journals
are published there.
http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/

Whether the journal would be open-accessed or not depends on the society,
and to reiterate we are trying to make Galaxea an open-access journal. What
we face now is how to secure profits for society members, because some of
the publication fee for making on-line pdfs should be supported by the
members. Still some issues to be solved, but as soon as we got agreement
among the members, we will make it open-accessed.

Our case might be special because the government supports costs for the
on-line system, but it could be an interesting example for how a journal
could evolve by adopting a way to be an open-access journal.

Best regards,

Hiroya Yamano

----
Senior Researcher
Center for Global Environmental Research,
National Institute for Environmental Studies, Japan
http://www-cger.nies.go.jp/climate/person/yamano/index.html
Tel: +81-29-850-2477, Fax: +81-29-850-2219
----

----