[Coral-List] coral list post: Diadema antillarum

James Cervino PhD. jcervino at whoi.edu
Fri Apr 25 18:04:53 EDT 2008

Can anyone alert me to papers published on the specific diet of D.a? Has anyone
watched them eat the same species of alga over time? I think these lawn keepers
have a specific palate??
*************************************
Dr. James M. Cervino
Visiting Scientist
Woods Hole Oceanographic Inst.
Department of Marine Chemistry
Woods Hole MA.
NYC Address: 9-22 119st
College Point NY NY 11356
Cell: 917-620*5287
************************************

Quoting John Ware <jware at erols.com>:

* Drew and Dan,
*
* Well, since I didn't see any other replies:
*
* D.a. are typically sparse, altough I understand there is a comeback at
* DBML.  What we have done in the past is to lay out a transect line using
* a 50 m tape.  We laid our tapes along depth contours in order to
* determine a depth effect.  Then two divers swim along the line, one on
* each side, with a 1 m pvc pipe.  Each diver counts the number of D.a.
* within 1 m of the tape using the pvc pipe as a guide, thus surveying 100
* m**2.   This is simple and fast.
*
* Sounds like you may be taking people without much diving experience and
* maybe even less night diving experience.  D.a. are very good at hiding,
* so all surveys should be done after the sun goes down.  Without good
* buoyancy control, there could be some close encounters with the D.a.
* which, believe me, are VERY painful.  Do some research on first aid and
* take along the required stuff - DBML may help you there.
*
* John
*
* Dan Dalke-Fac/Staff wrote:
*
* >Dear coral listers,
* >
* >This is Drew Fozzard. I am a senior at Lovett, and am currently
* >doing an independent research project with my Marine Biology
* >teacher.  Along with 11 other students, we will be going to
* >Discovery Bay Marine Lab in Jamaica with a  research diving
* >class.  We are interested in doing a project involving the
* >population of the reef urchin Diadema antillarum.  I was
* >wondering if anyone had any information or suggestions for
* >monitoring the numbers of Diadema on the different reefs at
* >Discovery Bay. We are taking 1/2 m and 1 m quadrants with us.
* >
* >Thanks,
* >
* >Drew Fozzard
* >alfozzard at lovett.org
* >
* >
* >
* >Dan Dalke
* >Upper School Science Department Chairman
* >The Lovett School
* >404-262-3032 ext. 1520
* >ddalke at lovett.org
* >
* >
* >
* >_______________________________________________
* >Coral-List mailing list
* >Coral-List at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
* >
* >
* >
*
* --
*     *************************************************************
*     *                                                           *
*     *                      John R. Ware, PhD                    *
*     *                         President                         *
*     *                      SeaServices, Inc.                    *
*     *                   19572 Club House Road                   *
*     *             Montgomery Village, MD, 20886, USA            *
*     *                       301 987-8507                        *
*     *                      jware at erols.com                      *
*     *                 http://www.seaservices.org                *
*     *                     fax: 301 987-8531                     *
*     *             Treasurer and Member of the Council:          *
*     *            International Society for Reef Studies         *
*     *                                          _                *
*     *                                         |                 *
*     *   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
*     *                                        _|_                *
*     *                                       | _ |               *
*     *        _______________________________|   |________       *
*     *     |\/__       Untainted by Technology            \      *
*     *     |/\____________________________________________/      *
*
*
*