[Coral-List] Xetospongia muta

Julian Sprung julian at tlfusa.com
Wed Apr 30 09:46:33 EDT 2008

Has anyone observed the "stump" grow back upwards to form a new large sponge? It would be interesting to tag them with date records to observe the rate of re-growth, and to tag the loose detached ones to see what % of them are able to re-attach. It would seem that at great depth the chances for them are pretty good. I wonder, also, if the rolling of the detached ones doesn't generate small fragments that also may attach and form new colonies. Since the clean cut at the base seems to be a common observation, perhaps there is a line of scission at the base, like on a lizard's tail.

I remember some years ago diving with Bruce Carlson at Mary Island in the Solomons where, in a deep (70 feet) embayment there is a field of small leather corals (Sarcophyton sp.). Bruce noticed that even a gentle squeeze of the cap would cause it to sever off cleanly, like a cookie popping off into your hand. Clearly this was a reproductive strategy for this species, and in this case it resulted in it dominating the bottom in a region of this bay. While Sarcophyton spp are able to reproduce vegetatively by various means, this was really a unique one!

Julian