[Coral-List] Strange Xestospongia muta damage

Thomas Goreau goreau at bestweb.net
Wed Apr 30 09:45:50 EDT 2008

Dear Kristen,

No, I did not dive at the area that you and the VONE Research Team
surveyed which was damaged by cables off Pompano. Dan  Clark and I
were diving on the first reef off Fort Lauderdale in places that had
no obvious physical damage. Nor did we see fishing line around any of
them, as Joseph Pawlik has documented in the Florida Keys. These
sponges were not simply ripped up or scraped, they looked as though
they had been cut flat parallel to the substrate with a very sharp
knife and very sure hand. It was bizarre. I know that it would take a
very large, very sharp knife with tremendous force to do this. The
tissue was growing over the flat portions from both inside and
outside, some more than others, and I believe that most recovered.
The local divers know much more about this than I do, especially Jeff
Torode and Dan Clark, I was merely confirming their observations. It
is possible that Dan or Jeff have photographs. I'm completely baffled
as to how this could have happened.

Best wishes,
Tom