[Coral-List] Travel Award: IMCC

John Cigliano jaciglia at cedarcrest.edu
Fri Aug 1 11:51:34 EDT 2008

The Marine Section of the Society for Conservation Biology will be
accepting applications for travel reimbursements to cover the cost of
attending the International Marine Conservation Congress (www.conbio.org/IMCC)
 To encourage international and student participation, priority will
be given to participants from developing countries and students.

Information can be found at: http://www2.cedarcrest.edu/imcc/travel_award.html

Please note that poster/paper/symposia/workshop acceptance is also a
criterion for being awarded travel reimbursement.

The Travel Award Committee will notify applicants by 15 December 2008.
Registration for the meeting opens 15 November 2008, with an early
registration deadline of 15 February 2009.

If you are selected to receive reimbursement for travel to the
meeting, you must confirm your intent to attend the meeting by
registering for the meeting by 15 January 2009. The only exception is
if you have been asked to submit a 1500 word submission for an oral
presentation; in those cases we will extend your deadline until 1
February 2009.  Otherwise, if you do not register by January 15 we
will reallocate your travel stipend to the next person in our list. If
you do not register by January 15 we will reallocate your travel
stipend to the next person in our list.

Please also note that the 1st Call for oral presentations, speed
presentations, and posters is 1 September - 15 October 2008.

The International Marine Conservation Congress (IMCC) will be the
first stand-alone meeting of the Marine Section of the Society for
Conservation Biology and will be held from 20-24 May 2009 at George
Mason University near Washington D.C. This will be an
interdisciplinary meeting that will engage natural and social
scientists, managers, policy-makers, and the public. The goal of the
IMCC is to put conservation science into practice through public and
media outreach and the development concrete products that will be used
to drive policy change and implementation. This meeting will encompass
the 2nd International Marine Protected Areas Congress.

Major themes and cross-cutting issues that will be addressed include:

Major Themes:

Global Climate Change
The Land-Sea Interface
Ecosystem-based Management
Poverty and Globalization

Cross-cutting issues encompass topics of global relevance and
importance to marine conservation that relate to the major themes.

Marine Protected Areas
Education, Outreach and Capacity Building
Governance Arrangements
Fisheries and Aquaculture
Economics

Thanks,

John

John A. Cigliano, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Biological Sciences
Cedar Crest College
http://www.cedarcrest.edu/biology

Chair, International Marine Conservation Congress
http:/conbio.org/IMCC

(V) 610.606.4666, X3702
(F) 610.606.4616