[Coral-List] animated anemone

Keven Reed reedkc at comcast.net
Sun Aug 3 14:00:28 EDT 2008

Dear all,

    Many on the list can attest to rapid movements by anemones.  Though NOT advocating rudely poking Actiniaria animals, two common examples from the Western Pacific are:

Large, erect Actinodendron spp. in the Western Pacific (a powerful stinger) will retract their entire body under soft substrate when poked.
I've also seen colorful, low profile, Cryptodendrum adhaesivum (which may have associated symbiotic Ambon shrimp, anemone crabs, or Clark's anemonefish) rapidly withdraw into coral & rock crevices.

Regards,
Keven