[Coral-List] Reflections on ICRS 11

Michael Risk riskmj at univmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Sun Aug 3 08:44:38 EDT 2008

Hi Phil.

Your post brings home to me my keen disappointment that I did not
attend the meeting. Just thinking what I missed...fine dining at Jojo's
Italian Restaurant, gracious living at the Sleep Inn, old talks that
went overtime...

For most of my career I balanced on that thin and ragged line that
separates geology from biology. I attended both types of meetings. Your
audience may not like to hear this, but for about a generation,
geologists have been giving better talks at meetings that are more
tightly run.

The reasons are, I think, pretty evident: money. Biology talks are
given to others of the faithful: geology talks are often given to
influence exploration decisions. If one is trying to persuade a company
to invest $10 million in a drilling program, the message needs to be
succinct and effective.

This attitude carries over into their meetings. I don't know what the
policy is now, but years ago, if you wanted to present at the AAPG
(Amer Assoc Petroleum Geol.) meeting, you sent your slides into a Slide
Committee well in advance. They might well send your slides back
telling you to redo some, omit others. Our Department for years gave a
short course on how to present at a meeting, how to make slides:
beginning with the cardinal rule, one idea per slide. etc.

Session chairs were chosen, not only on their stature as scientists,
but on their presumed ability to pull the plug on the long-winded.
Chairs had control over power to the lights and the slide projector.

So, this has been fun. But we both know nothing will change.

Mike