[Coral-List] Reflections on ICRS 11

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Mon Aug 4 10:37:34 EDT 2008

Dear All:

I totally agree with both Phil and Richard. Thank you to the organizers
for a monumental effort handling such a huge number of participants very
well.  But the program itself had some flaws that need fixing for future
meetings:

Several talks I attended were basically already published (already
emphasized by Phil and Richard) and had no business being presented as a
talk at this meeting.  This cluttered up the program and left less time
for viewing posters. The instructions for the meeting clearly stated
that the material should not have been previously presented or
published, but some folks think that doesn't apply to them.  I am not
sure how the organizers can be on top of the status of so many research
topics, but maybe in the future, submitters must sign a paper confirming
that the work has not been published or presented elsewhere (other
meetings do that.  One issue is the long lag time between submitting
abstracts and the meeting.  People don't want to hold off on submitted
work until after the meeting, so maybe a place to declare that the work
will be submitted before the meeting is OK.  But if's already submitted
or in press, then it should not be allowed.

I heard about the senior folks who did the "I am so great" routine but
did not witness them myself.  That I heard about it means that it made a
bad impression on those who were at the talks.

The poor poster presenters got a raw deal this time around:  they had to
miss oral presentations to stand before their posters, but nobody was
there because they were attending oral presentations. There should not
have been talks concurrent with poster sessions.  The two beer
receptions should have been placed among the posters (spread the
beverage tables down the central aisle).

If the meetings remain this large or get any bigger, I suggest doing
away with oral presentations, have a few well selected plenaries (1 or 2
per day), and the rest poster sessions and discussion sessions held
after each poster session (2.5 hrs to view posters on a topic; 1 hour
for general discussion with all presenters and audience interested in
that topic).  If you had only 5 concurrent poster/discussion sessions
per am or pm, you could do 50 topics in one week, and people would only
miss 80 of concurrent events (unless they wanted to travel among the 5
concurrent sessions), rather than miss 92 % of the orals and almost all
the posters.

Alina Szmant

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Coral Reef Research Group
UNCW-Center for Marine Science
5600 Marvin K. Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409
Tel: (910)962-2362 & Fax:  (910)962-2410
Cell:  (910)200-3913
email:  szmanta at uncw.edu
Web Page:  http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta