[Coral-List] Coral bleaching observation: Dubai, Arabian/Persian Gulf

Mark Eakin Mark.Eakin at noaa.gov
Fri Aug 15 12:00:46 EDT 2008

Temperatures in the Persian/Arabian Gulf are running higher than
normal.  Our HotSpots across most of the Gulf show temperatures from
0-1 degrees above the maximum monthly mean and there has been low-
level accumulation of thermal stress (Degree Heating Weeks = 1 in
parts of the Gulf).  Unfortunately, semi-enclosed bodies like this are
especially difficult to monitor using satellites.

Cheers,
Mark

On Aug 15, 2008, at 7:55 AM, John Burt wrote:

> Coral bleaching has been observed at several reefs and breakwaters
> in Dubai, UAE in the past week. Species primarily affected include
> Acropora downingi, Porites lutea, P. lobata, Cyphastrea
> micropthalma, and Turbinaria reniformes. Most bleaching is
> restricted to depths less than 4 m.
>
> Similar observations were reported last here year, and most bleached
> colonies in permanent quadrats recovered 'normal' appearance within
> one month during that event.
>
> John Burt

C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
Coordinator, NOAA Coral Reef Watch
Center for Satellite Applications and Research
Satellite Oceanography & Climate Division
e-mail: mark.eakin at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5308
1335 East West Highway
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226
301-713-2857 x109                   Fax: 301-713-3136