[Coral-List] algae ID

Barbara Whitman terramar at caribcable.com
Sat Aug 16 21:58:26 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I have found what I believe is an alga but I have never seen anything like it before.  It is the only one I have ever seen - washed up in shallow water in Nevis.  It is gelatinous, slimy but tough, about 2 feet long, 1 1/2 inches wide, red-purple, has tufts and "branches".  Like nothing I've seen before. It almost looks like the insides of something but I'm pretty sure it's an alga.  I'm not an algae person so I'm pretty stumped.  I can email pics to anyone who may be able to help.

Thanks,
Barb Whitman