[Coral-List] Bleaching Report

Douglas Fenner dfenner at blueskynet.as
Wed Aug 20 03:38:29 EDT 2008

Wallace 1999, p. 2 details the situation for Acropora muricata and A.
formosa.  A. muricata was described by Linnaeus in 1758, but he referred to
a work by Rumphius that included a drawing.  Linnaeus did not designate a
type specimen or illustrate a specimen.  Wallace, 1999 designated a neotype
from the area in Indonesia where Rumphius worked that looks like his
drawing.  It is a species named A. formosa by Dana, 1846, so A. formosa is
now a junior synonym.  As I understand it, the old rules of Zoological
nomenclature allowed designating a neotype this way, but the new rules, in
effect as of Jan 1, 2000, do not.  (Also, the new rules require designating
the type specimen in the original description.)
     For an alternate view, see Veron, 2000, Vol. 1, p. 176.  His view is
that the name A. formosa has long been applied to one of the best known
corals, and changing it would create confusion where there is none, and this
is not allowed by the rules.
     Anyone confused?
     As much as the taxonomic naming system is a pain, we still use it
because it is useful, and no one has come up with a better system.  I've
read one opinion that much of the task of modern taxonomists is just trying
to untangle the mess left them by earlier taxonomists.  That is certainly
part of the task, but not all of it.   -Doug

Wallace, C. C.  1999.  Staghorn corals of the world, A revision of the genus
Acropora.  CSIRO Publishing, Australia.

Veron, J. E. N.  2000.  Corals of the World.  AIMS, Australia.  3 volumes.