[Coral-List] Seasonal Bleaching Outlook

Mark.Eakin at noaa.gov Mark.Eakin at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 26 13:24:18 EDT 2008

AN interesting theory, Gene, but that can't be detection of dust.  The Seasonal Bleaching Outlook is based on a climate model that is forecasting SSTs weeks into the future.  That particular model is not one with sufficient sophistication in its structure to include atmospheric aerosols.  You would have to look at the satellite data, not this forecast model, to detect dust clouds.

Since we have not found an immediate application for atmospheric dust content, it has not been a priority for us.  There are some satellite data products and analyses that can be used for detecting dust.  It is important to point out that unless the dust is especially thick, it is often difficult to quantify.

Cheers,
Mark