[Coral-List] Reef Area database assistance

RainbowWarriorsInternational southern_caribbean at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 27 10:19:42 EDT 2008

Dear Tom,

I remember seeing something on the net some years ago about a novel way of calculating surface areas of land and island masses with highly irregular coastlines.

Between the USGS and companies which provide satellite imaging services to commercial clients you should be able to track down this technology and its users in the fields of biology and natural sciences.

Milton Ponson
Rainbow Warriors Core Foundation
www.rainbowwarriors.net

Tom Brewer <tomdbrewer at gmail.com> wrote: Dear Coral-Listers,

I am currently constructing a database covering reef ecology across the
Pacific. As part of an analysis I am performing, I need a rough measure of
reef area. The scale is from nation to atoll. To date, the best and cheapest
I have found is manually tracing polygons on google earth, which is not
precise, but adequate for my purposes.

However, there are potentially thousands of these measurements to make,
which could take half of my PhD. I have looked on reef check, millennium
mapping and UNEP amongst others, to no avail. If anyone knows of a reef area
database with values (km2) rather than maps, your help would be greatly
appreciated.

Regards

Tom

--

Tom Brewer
Ph. D Candidate
ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies
James Cook University
Townsville 4811
Australia
Mob: +61 433 976 561