[Coral-List] Reef Area database assistance

Tyler tyler.ritchie at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 12:54:36 EDT 2008

Tom,

If you're unable to find a database covering the areas you need and existing
remote sensing methods for determining reef areas are inadequate, I suggest
setting up the digitization of approximate reef area as a series of
mechanical turk "HITs". www.mturk.com Amazon has fairly extensive guides on
setting up tasks, and using the google maps API and some javascript you
should be able to get as acurate data as using google earth.

The issue then comes down to developing some sort of training for random
mechanical turk users.  Still, if it comes down to spending months on
measuring reef area, by yourself, mechanical turk (or other such services,
if they exist) may be a viable alternative.

-Tyler