[Coral-List] The Colombian National Day of the Reef (5th of December of every year)

Arrecifes de coral corales2006 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 2 14:28:06 EST 2008

Dear Coral Listers,

In Colombia We have the benefit to count with a Vice Minister Mrs. Claudia Mora who is a scuba diver and after She enjoyed the beauty of our coral reefs during the IYOR, She had declared the 5th of December as the Colombian National day of the reef.

For this year, the Second International Year of the Reef, We have worked again in coordination with the Ministry of Environment, Housing and Territorial Development, INVEMAR, National Parks and other governmental agencies, the Universities, scuba diving operators, NGOs and the Civil Society.

The 4th of December 2008, We will get together in Cartagena during a workshop about the relevance of Participatory Coral Reef Evaluation and Monitoring to improve management effectiveness at the Centro Internacional de Convenciones del Hotel Las Américas Global Resort de Cartagena, Colombia

The 5th of December 2008 We and other 35 scuba divers will join an underwater survey at the coral reefs of the National Park Corales del Rosario.

The media will cover all the events and the Minister of Environment Mr. Juan Lozano will approach the general public regarding How every body can do something to improve management effectiveness, since even people in the Capital Bogota through the Bogota River are connected to the Magdalena River and this to the Dique Channel which flows into the National Park Corales del Rosario.

Nohora GalvisDirectora EjecutivaFundación ICRI-ColombiaCalle 97ª No. 60D-88 Bogota Email: nohora_galvis at gmail.comhttp://icri-colombia.es.tl/ http://icri-colombia.blogspot.com/ Punto Focal ICRI para Colombia por la Sociedad CivilIniciativa Internacional para los Arrecifes Coralinoshttp://iyor.org/focalpoints/countries/colombia/default.asp http://www.icriforum.org/html/postcard/ICRI_postcard_SP.PDF http://www.icriforum.org/