[Coral-List] REMINDER: Proposals for “Beyond the Obituaries: Success Stories in Ocean Conservation” are due Monday, Dec. 15th.

John Cigliano jaciglia at cedarcrest.edu
Mon Dec 8 13:01:33 EST 2008

Background:

The International Marine Conservation Congress will take place in
Washington, DC May 19th through the 24th 2009. The Smithsonian’s
National Museum of Natural History will help kick-off the conference
on a positive note with a one-day public program on May 20th entitled
“Beyond the Obituaries: Success Stories in Ocean Conservation.” The
event, organized by Nancy Knowlton and Jeremy Jackson, will highlight
conservation efforts that are making a difference around the world,
allow conservation professionals to learn from the success of others,
and demonstrate to the public and policy makers that the situation is
not hopeless. A reception and public talk by Dr. Daniel Pauly will
follow.

Criteria:

We are looking for clear, tangible results. We are not looking for
descriptions of public awareness campaigns (unless there are tangible
behavior changes tied to them) or for accounts of legislative actions
that have not yet played out in the real world. We seek proposals that
go beyond describing conservation efforts (e.g. the establishment of
an MPA) to describe successful outcomes (e.g. a rebound in target
species within the MPA). We aim to have a diversity of proposals in
terms of goals, ecosystems, strategies, and geography.

What to Send:

Please send one- to two-page proposals clearly outlining the success
story you would like to present. Explain why this case study is
noteworthy and how “success” has been measured.

Include your name and contact information, your organization, and your
role in the case study you are presenting (e.g. are you an academic
who has studied the rebound of a certain organism’s population, a
resource manager who has implemented a local program, etc.).

Send proposals (due December 15th 2008) or questions to Christine
Hoekenga: hoekengac at si.edu.

What to Expect:

You will be notified if your proposal has been selected by mid-
January. If selected, you or someone from your project will be invited
to present your success story at the symposium in May.

For more information on the International Marine Conservation
Congress, visit: www.conbio.org/IMCC