[Coral-List] Dropped Documents

Jim Hendee jim.hendee at noaa.gov
Tue Dec 9 07:59:38 EST 2008

Greetings,

    I believe I've said a time or two that you can not attach documents,
figures or other files to any messages you post to Coral-List.  If you
do, either they will be stripped from the message and all you'll see is
header info, or the whole message will be deleted.  Sometimes the body
of a message also gets stripped if there's special HTML formatting in
it.  The reason we've set this up is because, a) sending big documents
to over 5,000 subscribers put strain on both the server and the
bandwidth connection, and, b) allowing files to be attached increases
the possibility of spreading a virus via the list.

    If you want to draw attention to a file, post a link to the file
elsewhere on the Web; or, have people contact you for the file in
question.  In sending messages to Coral-List, it is best not to use
HTML; rather plain old text, if you want to make sure the message is not
stripped or dropped.

    Thanks for cooperation.

    Cheers,
    Jim