[Coral-List] Good News from Australia

Gene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Fri Dec 19 09:28:04 EST 2008

Good News from the Melbourne Australia Herald Sun. "PROFESSOR Ove
Hoegh-Guldberg, of
<javascript:void(window.open('http://www.uq.edu.au/','','resizable=no,location=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=no,status=no,toolbar=no,fullscreen=no,dependent=no'))>Queensland
University, is Australia's most quoted reef expert.
He's advised business, green and government groups, and won our rich
Eureka Prize for scares about our reef. He's chaired a $20 million
global warming study of the World Bank.
In 1999, Hoegh-Guldberg warned that the Great Barrier Reef was under
pressure from global warming, and much of it had turned white.
In fact, he later admitted the reef had made a "surprising" recovery.
In 2006, he warned high temperatures meant "between 30 and 40 per
cent of coral on Queensland's great Barrier Reef could die within a
month".
In fact, he later admitted this bleaching had "a minimal impact".
In 2007, he warned that temperature changes of the kind caused by
global warming were again bleaching the reef.
In fact, the Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network last week said
there had been no big damage to the reef caused by climate change in
the four years since its last report, and veteran diver Ben Cropp
said this week that in 50 years he'd seen none at all."  Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor