[Coral-List] Questions from the coal face

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Fri Dec 26 19:35:30 EST 2008

There are several excellent efforts to develop coordinated networks of
small, community-based reserves, such as in the South Central Pacific
(Packard Foundation-sponsored), and the Sulu Sea area of the Philippines
(Vangie Miclat and others of CI). The new Coral Triangle Initiative will
undoubtedly build on the latter and extend these efforts.

We are usually talking about small fringing reefs and coral patches in
distinct units, or distinct fishing grounds dominated by a single community,
so sharing a single reserve (often a portion of a single reef of a half to a
few sq km) among barrios or other communities is not often an issue. The
reserves often have to be designed so that the fishers in a given community
do not have to travel very far to continue fishing. This tends to help keep
reserves small. However, I would be surprised if there were not some cases
out there where this was done.

Cheers!

John

John W. McManus, PhD
Director, National Center for Coral Reef Research (NCORE)
Professor, Marine Biology and Fisheries
Coral Reef Ecology and Management Lab (CREM Lab)
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS)
University of Miami, 4700 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, 33149
jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu      http://ncore.rsmas.miami.edu
 Phone: 305-421-4814   Fax: 305-421-4910

  "If I cannot build it, I do not understand it."
              --Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate