[Coral-List] Best practice for LIT surveys

Feingold, Joshua joshua at nova.edu
Mon Dec 29 09:49:21 EST 2008

Hi Lindsay,

The line-intercept method is utilized in the AGRRA protocols and yields good
results. You are correct that movement of the tape limits easy interpretation
of intercepted corals, especially when there is strong surge. You can
minimize movement by putting good tension on the line, but that requires
strong supports (e.g. permanent stakes) on either end. When I employ this
method, I do not wrap the tape around corals or any other object, preferring
to observe the movement of the line over several surge-cycles and "averaging"
the position for data collection. I agree that wrapping the line or
purposefully running it to minimize movement introduces bias and is something
to avoid. Another option is to use 1/16" braided nylon line instead of a
fiberglass tape. The nylon line is not affected as much as the wider tape by
surge, but is still subject to movement. This would also require the use of
an alternate measuring device to determine linear distance of the coral under
the non-marked line.

The LIT is an effective technique, but does have its limitations.

Cheers,

Joshua Feingold
Nova Southeastern University