[Coral-List] Sharpnose Puffer

John Ogden jogden at marine.usf.edu
Wed Dec 31 10:49:13 EST 2008

Hi Will,

My guess is that sharpnose puffers have the same type of recruitment as
Bill Gladfelter and I observed for balloonfish (Diodon holocanthus) many
years ago in St. Croix.  The larvae are pelagic for a long larval life,
up to a year.  During this interval; they slowly gather into huge
schools of many thousands of individuals (about 3cm long) which then
recruit en mass to whatever coastal region is favorable within the time
frame of development.  The area then becomes completely flooded with
recruits which gradually disperse and are preyed upon.  You could call
this a sort of 17-year locust type of recruitment.

It would be interesting to see if others have observed this type of
recruitment which may be more common than we know.

Happy New Year!