[Coral-List] Selling coral. Funny you should mention it.

delbeek at waquarium.org delbeek at waquarium.org
Fri Feb 15 18:27:24 EST 2008

Mike et al., I am not sure what corals you are referring to that are
"prohibited", I am not aware that any coral is "prohibited" to be imported
into Canada unless we are talking about corals that are prohibited from being
collected in the country of origin e.g. US, Philippines???

What is more likely is that the corals were either misreported by number or
misidentified, or they were soft corals attached to coral rubble and hence
these were not declared or accompanied by a CITES permit.

Keep in mind that aquacultured corals are also being imported into Toronto in
large quantities, and elsewhere, so this distinction MUST be made when people
go off on the evils of the coral trade and imports.

Just my opinion based I what I know and have seen but if people really want to
have a big impact on preserving coral reefs in Indonesia and the Philippines,
then banning the importation of dynamite into these countries (or export to
these countries!), would be a much bigger step in the right direction than
banning the import of live corals into the US. Applying pressure on these
governments to rigorously enforce and prosecute reef dynamiters would be
another tactic. Dynamiting or using NaCN is totally in discriminant when it
comes to destroying corals and fish; the live coral trade on the other hand
only targets certain types and does not lay waste to acres of reefs in an
afternoon. The curio trade in coral skeletons is also magnitudes of scope
greater than the live coral trade. Lets pick the bigger battles that if won,
will have the biggest impact or else we may win a few small battles but end up
loosing the war.

Again the above is only my opinion and is not necessarily reflective of that
of my employer.

Aloha!
J. Charles Delbeek