[Coral-List] Live coral trade - Philippine exports

Ian Enochs ienochs at rsmas.miami.edu
Tue Feb 19 16:59:47 EST 2008

Craig,
With respect to evaluating the impact of invasive species of coral, I think
it is very interesting to take note of Tubastraea coccinea.  Many people
don't realize that the "orange cup coral" that they see covering wrecks and
deeper reefs is actually a Pacific species that is believed to have been
introduced into the Caribbean some time before 1943 (Cairns, 2000).  For a
map of its presumed dispersal see Fenner & Banks 2004.  While the effect of
Tubastraea on native species is poorly understood, Creed (2006) has observed
aggressive interaction with Mussismilia hispida in Brazil and my preliminary
laboratory observations, conducted with native Caribbean species, suggest
that Tubastraea is capable of causing tissue necrosis at limited distances.
Even though this species' introduction was most likely not due to the
aquarium trade, I think it still serves as a relevant example of the
capability of some coral species to invade nonnative waters.

Cheers,

Ian Enochs
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
University of Miami
4600 Rickenbacker Cswy.
Miami, FL 33149