[Coral-List] Lionfish in the Atlantic

Christopher Hawkins chwkins at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 17:38:32 EST 2008

It would seem that they've "made it".  They are the focus of a recent NOAA assessment and we have included them in our write-up of the socio-economics impacts of invasive species of the coastal marine waters and the Laurentian Great Lakes of the United States, which is currently in prep as a NOAA Technical Memorandum (Loomis, O'Connor, and Hawkins).

  Chris

  The lion fish here off of NC are everywhere
 offshore.  And I saw a dive
article about there abundance elsewhere in
 Caribbean.  They are
definitely established in the Atlantic, and can
 now be considered
invasive.  They'll probably have a major effect
 on small reef fishes
such as gobies and blennies.

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Coral Reef Research Group
UNCW-Center for Marine Science
5600 Marvin K. Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409
Tel: (910)962-2362 & Fax:  (910)962-2410
Cell:  (910)200-3913
email:  szmanta at uncw.edu