[Coral-List] Lionfish in the Atlantic-Snappers in the Pacific

Brett David Schumacher schumach at hawaii.edu
Wed Feb 20 01:26:35 EST 2008

I'm writing my disseration on the effect (or not) of ta`ape (Lutjanus kasmira) in Hawai`i, so I can chime in about what this introduced fish is up to.

Relative to the effect they have on aquarium fish populations, I can sum it up quite easily and confidently: None at all.

Ta`ape do eat a few fish, but they are almost invariably Sandperches (Pinguipedidae), Dragonets (Callionymidae), or other fishes found out on the sand...and therefore away from the reef where most aquarium fish shelter.  Ta`ape are also feed primarily at night when things like yellow tang recruits (the only size a ta`ape could eat) are safely tucked into crevices in the reef.

As far as competing with the deepwater snappers, the common perception there is also much worse than reality, and the principal reason comes down to habitat segregation.  All of the native snappers except for the opakapaka (Pristipomoides filamentosus) are found deeper than ta`ape's range.  However, even the opakapaka and ta`ape segregate spatially, just on a smaller scale. Ta`ape are benthic feeders, while the opakapaka feed on plankton up in the water column, so they utilize different food sources.

Brett

Brett D. Schumacher
Hawaii Cooperative Fishery Research Unit
Department of Zoology
University of Hawaii at Manoa
2538 McCarthy Mall, Edmondson 152
Honolulu, HI 96822