[Coral-List] need help for info on lobster in Belize

Terri Young tyoung at icran.org
Wed Feb 20 06:24:50 EST 2008

Dear Coral-List Poster,

ICRAN have recently completed a project in the Mesoamerican Reef region
(ICRAN MAR) involving Mexico, Belize, Guatemala and Honduras. This 3 year
initiative addressed threats to the MAR under three components known to
strongly impact the region: watersheds, sustainable tourism and sustainable
fisheries.

There are a number of outputs from this project, that can be found on our
website (www.icran.org), including a lobster manual  - 'Lobster Fishing
Practices: Guidelines for the Mesoamerican Reef'. This was developed in
coordination with local fishermen and as well as providing guidelines for
best fishing practices, the status and challenges of lobster fisheries,
trade chains, regulations etc. are also examined.

For chain of custody the best people to contact are the Marine Stewardship
Council (MSC), whose work utilises consumer purchasing power to encourage
sustainable and well-managed fisheries (www.msc.org).

The FAO website is also a good source of information for data and trends.

Hope this helps

Best,
Terri

Terri Young
International Coral Reef Action Network (ICRAN)
c/o UNEP WCMC
219 Huntingdon Road
Cambridge, CB3 0DL
United Kingdom

T: +44 1223 277314  xt: 269
F: +44 1223 277 136
Skype id: teripang
tyoung at icran.org
www.icran.org

Today's Topics:

   1. need help for info on lobster in Belize (Coral-List Poster)
   2. Re: Lionfish in the Atlantic (delbeek at waquarium.org)
   3. Re: Live coral trade - Philippine exports (Ian Enochs)
   4. Re: Lionfish in the Atlantic (Christopher Hawkins)
   5. Re: Lionfish in the Atlantic (Steven or Debbie Pro)
   6. Re: Lionfish in the Atlantic (Todd Barber-Clear)

Message: 1