[Coral-List] Is Tubastrea an introduced species?

Thomas Goreau goreau at bestweb.net
Fri Feb 22 18:55:04 EST 2008

The map of the "spread" of Tubastrea coccinea in the paper referred
to below basically gives the dates that the first diving marine
biologists around the Caribbean first noted Tubastrea. That is why it
appears to "spread" outward from Jamaica. But since these are the
first dates of observers at these sites, this cannot be taken as
proof of the actual spread of Tubastrea at all. I'd  be curious to
know why Steve Cairns thinks it is introduced. I'd pay a lot of
weight to his arguments, but not to the map mentioned below.

Thomas J. Goreau, PhD
President
Global Coral Reef Alliance
37 Pleasant Street, Cambridge MA 02139