[Coral-List] Aquacultured Corals?

Michele & Karl michka at fellenius.net
Fri Feb 22 18:11:57 EST 2008

Charles,

Just a correction in regards to Vanuatu. Fisheries regs here do not require,
but only encourage F2. Also, while one coral culture operation here did
practice responsible aquaculture up until a year ago, both coral companies
are now unfortunately chop-shop. The company that slid into unsustainable
practices over the last year is now taking frags that represent 1 to 2
years of growth and shipping them out within a few months after setting on
cement. They also eliminated their soft coral aquaculture efforts in favour
of wild harvesting and have accelerated their associated invertebrate
collections considerably. One mitigating factor is that at least they are
not destroying and chopping up colonies in one go like the practices of the
other, more established operator.

Inadequate monitoring of coral culture operators by Fisheries departments is
the problem. Operators know they won't check, so they have little incentive
to ensure that frags taken off colonies are not exported until the mother
colony has re-grown to its original state.

regards,

Karl

**
Karl Fellenius, Director &