[Coral-List] Aquacultured Corals?

Michele & Karl michka at fellenius.net
Wed Feb 27 21:57:20 EST 2008

Charles,

> Thanks for the information! Very interesting. How do you know at what rate
> the fragments are being taken now?

I dive the same areas as part of my work. Fragging is unfortunately taking
place in prime tourist diving spots. [from the tourist point of view, it is
first impressions of fragged corals that are not ideal. Only so much that I
can try to attribute to coral grazers ...].  I therefore see new trays of
coral fragments put down, and therefore then I also see when they have been
removed for export. Thus I know the rate. Note that I do not dive for the
purpose of determining rates.

> Your theory appears to be operating under the assumption that the number
> of mother colonies has not changed. So yes, more frags may be being
> exported, and larger, and they could still be using the same number of
> mother colonies, or they may have increased the number of mother colonies.

My interpretation of sustainability was for any one coral colony.  Fragging
the same number of frags in total off more colonies would likely decrease
the impact on any one colony. But it would still be a net loss of coral from
the reef as a whole. Moreover, shipments have increased over the last year
(pers. comm. with former staff that approached me) so it is unlikely that
the company has been able to both export more AND reduce the fragging
effect on any one colony AND increase the size of frags AND still be
sustainable. But I suppose its not impossible. To be fair, sometimes I do
see frags that have become dislodged from trays that end up reattaching.
Thus forming the beginnings of another colony that may or may not otherwise
be there. But this unintended mitigating factor is more the exception than
the rule. I see many times more dislodged dead fragments near trays and also
full tray mortality. At this point I do not have the resources to do
monitoring other than casual observations when doing other things. Note that
the onus is on the company to demonstrate sustainability, not on others to
conclusively establish unsustainability. I did the former, and convinced
local authorities at the time. Currently, the company is capitalizing on
that early reputation despite having modified their practices. I have a
responsibility to take reasonable opportunities that present themselves to
raise attention on this issue, however tiring and repetitive it all is.

This discussion on Vanuatu started with you referring to Vanuatu as F2 and
describing the merits of coral exports from here. I just wanted to clarify
that. My intent is not to 'blast' exports from Vanuatu, or my former
employer (thus not named on the List). Only to make sure that when Vanuatu
comes up in a discussion on the List again, that there is no
misunderstanding about what is actually happening here.

regards, Karl

Tim,

Long time no hear from you. I wouldn't call it amusing, but I think I get
your meaning. Agreed, the early time was full of good intents and promising
solutions. The timing of my departure and their slide into unsustainable
practices makes perfect sense. I'll leave it at that. My interest is the
health of the reef, that's it. Knowing the politics of reef pillaging in
Vanuatu is a depressing, but necessary part of life here. Contact me off
list if you have a genuine and sincere interest to know more than what you
might have heard. You always struck me as having a keen environmental
understanding and personally I think it was unfortunate that your interests
in Vanuatu did not continue.

regards, Karl