[Coral-List] coral aquaculture

Juan Federico Urich juanurich at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 14:37:39 EST 2008

I have not followed all the discussion on aquacultured corals and the
Chop-shop concept with which I dont agree for the same reason that Dan
Janzen (UPENN) ones exposed on pricing a scenery. On the other hand whats
the problem on using Tom Goreau's method of growing coral and harvest them.
After all even if Electrolisis reared corals turned out to be
"different" and perhaps in a worst case scenario they die or bleach sooner.
So what? you go to the pet shop and by another one. Isnt that the markets
rationale. Who nowaday buys a non artificially reared Angel fish from the
Amazon Basin?. I agree with the idea that coral reef  aquariums increase
awareness on the need for reef preservation  but if somebody is interested
in making a profit out of this need. First go and do the homework: figure
out how to rear them artificially and support the research needed to make it
an accepted good business.

Regards

Juan F Urich
Laboratorio de Biologia Teórica