[Coral-List] What can SCIENTISTS do??

Michael Risk riskmj at univmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Tue Jan 1 16:24:24 EST 2008

Hello Bill, colleagues.

On this first day of 2008, I am reminded that environmental decisions
are often thorny ones. We need to start thinking of embodied energy,
lifespan utilisation, etc etc.

My nephew Dave teaches environmental science at St Frances-Xavier, in
Nova Scotia, and he put me onto some neat, surprising data, some of
which are summarised on

http://cnwmr.com/nss-folder/automotiveenergy/

Hybrid cars are no solution. Owners feel good as they drive them, but
the embodied energy in the high-tech components is very high, and
disposing of the components upon junking the vehicle is not easy.
Hybrids consume more energy in their entire lifespan than a Tahoe SUV.

In fact, much to my amazement, Hummers turn out not to be not that bad,
environmentally!! But for reasons that bring them no credit. They are
badly made, from crap components: relatively low embodied energy. They
don't last long, and when they die, they simply rust down into nontoxic
waste!

There will be no quick fixes. We will not save the planet by buying
hybrids. We need to consider all the elements, and even then there will
be gray areas. I just had an argument with a local, about wood heat. He
maintained that pellet stoves, that use compressed sawdust from
softwood logging and processing, are the "best" answer. I argued that
transportation energy was high for pellets, and that sustainably
harvesting one's own hardwood bush (as we do) was better. I am not sure
which of us was correct.

Yours in confusion-

Mike