[Coral-List] Green Conference

Richard E. Dodge dodge at nova.edu
Sun Jan 6 14:34:51 EST 2008

Dear Folks,

The Local Organizing Committee (LOC) and its Green Committee for the 11th
International Coral Reef Symposium (July 7-11, 2008) couldn't agree with
you more on all of these matters. So far, considerable steps have already
been taken to making the upcoming 11th ICRS (not the 12th) a GREEN event.
We are proud to announce that the 11th ICRS will not only be a Carbon
Neutral event, but Green Strategies have been adopted at all levels. We are
continuously updating our web site, but please feel free to access all this
information http://www.nova.edu/ncri/11icrs/edu_outreach.html.

Virtual conferencing is certainly an environmentally agreeable
strategy.  Dealing with the present, however, we would like to share just a
few of the steps we are taking:
    * All travel will be offset with carbonfund.org through supporting
renewable energy, energy efficiency, and reforestation projects that reduce
and offset CO2 emissions.
    * Attendees have the option of the abstract book on-line instead of a
hard copy.
    * Post-Symposium proceedings as an option will be available
electronically (CD) rather than a hard copy.
    * The air-conditioning will be set to 78F instead of the usual 68F and
will be off in un-used rooms.
    * All lighting will be centrally monitored and off when not in use.
    * All toilet paper, paper towels are made with re-cycled paper.
    * All cleaning products used are environmentally friendly products
    * All flushers in the convention center toilets have been fitted with
water saving devices.
    * The convention center also has only native plants on its property,
which are less needy on the environment.
    * Any necessary utensils and disposable cups will be made of potato starch
    * Reusable coffee cup / water bottle will be provided to limit the use
of disposables.
    * Condiments will be dispensed in bulk instead of individual wrappings.
    * The foods will be bought as locally as possible with plenty of
vegetarian options
    * All foods that are not used will be taken to shelters (namely Daily
Bread).
    * The signage company chosen re-uses the signs.
    * Recycling is presently being coordinated, and we are hoping to add a
composting option too.
    * We are investigating bio-diesel transport for attendees to and from
hotels.
    * Hotels have been chosen on their proximity to the convention center
to reduce unnecessary transport.
    * All hotels have been sent "Green information" and are working with
the convention center on introducing green strategies.
    * There will be a Green booth to educate everyone on how we all can
make a difference with our own individual actions.
We are very open, so please do forward ideas and information, and we will
do our utmost to oblige as we are all working towards the same goal.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, AND REFURBISH!!

Dick Dodge, Lotte Purkis, and Margaret Strumski
on behalf of the 11th ICRS LOC and its Green Committee
11th International Coral Reef Symposium 2008: www.nova.edu/ncri/11icrs