[Coral-List] What can scientists do: ARE YOU READY?

Alan E Strong Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 10 21:34:30 EST 2008

Hi Sarah - Outreach is a "contact sport" isn't it??
ICRS should just empower each of us even more!

Al

Sarah.Friastorres at noaa.gov said the following on 1/10/2008 1:47 PM:
> In the world of publish or perish, the scientist that spends time going
> from research to actual implementation of his/her discoveries commits
> professional suicide. Every second spent on making a difference and
> actually saving the world, is a second not spent publishing one more
> peer-reviewed publication. Obtaining a job in research/academia, tenure
> and promotion are based on number of publications and impact factors,
> so
> are decisions on whether or not awarding you the research grant that
> will
> keep you alive from one year to the next.
>
> Chances are, the people that can make a change, the people that need
> the
> most to learn about your research, will never, ever read your high
> impact
> factor peer-reviewed paper. They don’t have access to the best trained
> people, the scientists. If you have a deadly form of cancer, would you
> like to have the best oncologists in the world using their research
> knowledge on you? Or do you want them to spend all their time busy with
> their publications and impact factors and relegate your treatment to
> well
> meaning but not so well informed nurses?
>
> So my dear coral scientist, whether you work at the genetic level or
> chase
> after whale sharks…. Are you ready for a revolution? If you really care
> about what you study (and probably you do because you are reading this
> post), take the time to TAKE ACTION, to implementation, as one coral-
> list
> post said. Go and talk to the people. I’m not saying just print a
> poster
> with colorful pictures, or write an article for a newspaper, (which are
> good starters to get people interested), but if your research shows
> that a
> coral reef is being destroyed by pollution, or boat anchors, or blast
> fishing, spend the last few days of your fieldwork talking to the
> people
> of the village/town/city, and explain what the problem is, take them
> snorkeling so they can see the devastating effects of their actions.
> Join
> forces with NGOs and conservation minded institutions, and donate your
> time to help their outreach efforts. Find a way to bring that
> peer-reviewed publication to the people that can actually make a
> decision
> and make a difference.
>
> To the people in charge of making decisions about hiring new
> scientists in
> research or academia, take a chance for once in your life, and give at
> least an interview opportunity to the candidate that might not have
> published in Science or Nature, but might have actually saved some
> coral
> reef, or at least made a serious effort at conservation. The same goes
> [...]

**** <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< *******
Alan E. Strong, Ph.D.
NOAA Coral Reef Watch, Senior Consultant
NOAA Coral Reef Watch Program
  e-mail: Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5304
1335 East West Hwy
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226
301-713-2857 x108               Fax: 301-713-3136
Cell: 410-490-6602