[Coral-List] Question Thermal vs pH shift

shashank Keshavmurthy iamshanky15 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 13 11:43:56 EST 2008

Ok....so the discussion on the Thermal vs pH shift has begun....i thought i will give some information

This is an example of how atmospheric CO2 build-up might effect coral health.......

I hope people who are in this discussion are aware of a paper, "Pink-Line syndrome, a physiological crisis in the scleractinian coral Porites lutes" Ravindran and Raghukumar, Marine Biology (2005)...I am sorry about the issue and volume, i just have in press version...

Ok...so that was classical work done by Ravindran...I was there when he was painfully performing the experiment in Laccadives (Kavaratti Atoll) and waiting patiently for the result.  Finally he did it....

He showed that......CO2 build-up around the host tissue cause the pink coloration in the coral tissue....this happened when he treated coral with the cyanobacteria and abiotic stress (CO2).  Such kind of physiological changes can disturb the coral holobiont symbiosis, and host loses control over the zooxanthellae, causing uncontrolled division.....now this effect of CO2 was due to that produced by the cyanobacteria....

Just imagine....if the atmospheric CO2 levels increase....how many more Pink-line syndrome like infections will surface up?.....

Just a thought from my side

Shashank

"Role of Infinitely Small in Nature is Infinitely Large" - Louis Pasteur
Keshavmurthy Shashank
Research Student, Graduate School of Kuroshio Science
Laboratory of Environmental Conservation
Kochi University, Monobe Campus, B 200
Nankoku, Kochi, 783-8502, Japan
Mobile: 81 08039253889
My WebPage: http://web.mac.com/coralresearch/iWeb/shashank/Welcome.html