[Coral-List] coral range expansion with global warming

Precht, William F PrechtW at BATTELLE.ORG
Tue Jan 15 12:28:05 EST 2008

Dear List:

The geological record clearly records range shifts (both expansions and contractions) of both corals and reefs in both time and space related to changing climate (SSTs).

In 2004, Rich Aronson and I published the story of the on-going coral creep in the western Atlantic.  Interestingly enough, this story has an early-to-mid-Holocene analogue.  These shifts are highly ephemeral.  The facts are that coral and reefs will expand their ranges in the future related to global climate change but unfortunately these localized phenomena will not offset losses to coral and reefs related to bleaching and pandemic diseases throughout their range.

If anyone would like a copy of this manuscript - please let me know and I will send it along.

Precht, W.F., and Aronson, R.B.,(2004) Climate flickers and range shifts of reef corals. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 6(2):307-313.

Cheers,

Bill Precht

-----Original Message-----
From: coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov [mailto:coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov] On Behalf Of Allen Chen
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 6:17 PM
To: Ben Greenstein
Cc: coral-list coral-list
Subject: Re: [Coral-List] coral range expansion with global warming

Many thanks to Ben and John for posting their recent publication in
the coral range expansion with global warming. It is very interesting
in reading Shashank's description in Kochi's study. It will be great
if there are more information posted in the coral-list.

Cheers, Allen

在 2008/1/15 上午 1:15 時,Ben Greenstein 寫到: