[Coral-List] faint hope on coral range expansion with global warming

Michael Risk riskmj at univmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Wed Jan 16 13:29:57 EST 2008

Thanks for that reminder, Bill.

Global warming will bring with it not only increased sea surface
temperatures but also a rise in sea level.  The corals will be
attempting to colonize a newly-inundated continental shelf during a
transgression: very similar to what happened during the early Holocene.

Walter Adey showed, more than 30 years ago,the length of time this
takes: >1000 years. Of course, that was during the early Holocene, when
the water was a lot cleaner.

I don't see a lot of hope here. At least, not in my lifetime.

Mike