[Coral-List] Everglades & the Keys

Gene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Tue Jul 1 12:32:45 EDT 2008

Jim, Coral  demise in the Florida  Keys began in the late 1970s and
peaked during 1983-84 and has been in decline ever since.  As you
know I had been diving and observing  Keys reefs since the 1950s. The
peak of coral decline (Acropora death, black band disease, Diadema
die-off, and Sea Fan disease to name a few) occurred during the much
publicized El Nino that paralleled the largest influx of African dust
in recent history.  What happened in Florida happened simultaneously
throughout the Caribbean basin around small islands with minimal or
no human population. I would not get my hopes up about seeing much
change related to the Everglades project.  Gene
--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor