[Coral-List] Re. Google Adwords and Shark...a RESULT

Pete Faulkner petefaulkner at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 17:59:43 EDT 2008

Dear Listers

Some of you may remember a few months ago I posted regarding the fact that
Google was accepting paid advertising from shark fin product manufacturers.

I ,and a number of Listers, wrote to Google urging them to change their
policy in this regard. I certainly never got much more than a "we'll look
into it" kind of response although the original offending Advert did
disappear soon afterwards.

This original posting got passed on to a gentleman in California named John
Nunes who has grafted away at Google and finally achieved a wonderful
result. I attach below the correspondence that John today forwarded to me
from Google where they direct us to a new poilcy which explicitely bans
advertising of products derived from threatened or endangered species
including sharks.

A great result and one for which John deserves all the credit. He is not a
member of the List so has asked me to post this in his stead.

Best wishes and thanks to all those that wrote to Google.

Pete Faulkner
Chairman, Coral Cay Conservation

Subject: Re: update re: AdWords policy

Deanna, what wonderful news to receive today! Thank you for being patient
and understanding with me over the months -- I know I can be trying at
times...
I will be sure to share this information with all, and can happily say will
speak highly of Google in this regard.

Thanks for restoring faith in the concept that companies can be successful
AND respectful of the world we live in. 'Don't Be Evil' is indeed a suitable
mantra for Google, and I look forward to your company's continued success in
the marketplace and responsible stewardship.

Thanks again

John Nunes
john at benthic.ca