[Coral-List] CORAL AND SYMBIODINIUM GENOME PROJECT SURVEYS

Monica Medina mmedina at ucmerced.edu
Fri Jun 13 18:52:00 EDT 2008

Dear coral reef biologist,

Multiple labs are currently pursuing genomic approaches to address
questions in coral biology. Having access to whole genome sequences
would clearly facilitate research in our field. In the past few
years, several white papers have been submitted to multiple agencies
by members of the coral-Symbiodinium research community for whole
genome projects. While receiving positive reviews, mainly due to
large genome sizes, the genome projects have been slow to progress.
With the advent of the new sequencing technologies, whole genome
projects seem now more feasible than ever. Prioritizing collectively,
as a user community, the choice of species for sequencing would
strengthen our case and could expedite getting to the whole genome
goal sooner.

We would appreciate if you take the time to respond to two relevant
surveys regarding the prospects of coral and Symbiodinium genome
projects. We request that you provide your email address to prevent
multiple submissions that may bias the outcome of the surveys. Please
make sure to respond by June 30th.

We are planning to report the results of the survey during the last
30 minutes of our mini-symposium on genomics of coral reef organisms
at the ICRS. We also hope to discuss the different ongoing initiatives.

CORAL:

http://www.makesurvey.net/cgi-bin/survey.dll/
73B6CFA928B74F9EA655CEDED395B4EE

SYMBIODINIUM:

http://www.makesurvey.net/cgi-bin/survey.dll/
B21971DE728145E6AC9262977077FCF7

Your feedback will be instrumental in getting consensus in the whole
coral reef community to make the most effective use of our brief
discussion so we can push the genome efforts forward. Your
involvement in the projects will also be critical from supporting
white paper submissions to genome annotations, when the time comes.

We look forward to hearing from you and discussing this exciting
endeavor with all interested parties in July.

Mónica, Mary Alice and Jodi

Monica Medina
Assistant Professor
School of Natural Sciences
University of California, Merced
mailing address: 4225 Hospital Rd, Atwater CA 95301-5142
tel: 209-228-7863
fax: 209-228-4053
mmedina at ucmerced.edu
http://qsb.ucmerced.edu/faculty/mmedina/lab/