[Coral-List] Qatar Reefs

Gene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Sat Jun 14 12:23:30 EDT 2008

Greg,  I suspect you will soon hear from Ian Mcdonald who lives in
Qatar and works on such problems.
I lived there for 2.5 years in the mid 1960s when oil pollution
clearly was not a concern to the native population. In spite of this
lack of concern, which  has changed since then or you would not be
asking the question, I never observed negative effects of crude oil
spills ( and there were many throughout the Gulf). As nearly as I
could determine, high water temperatures during most of the year
accelerated bacterial degradation of any spilled crude oil. The most
devastating event was a cold snap in February 1964 that literally
killed all the Acroporid corals around Qatar but spared brain corals.
I described the event in (Shinn; E. A., 1976, Coral reef recovery in
Florida and the Persian Gulf:  Environmental Geology, v. 1, p.
241-254.)  Fish, sea snakes, and manatees, were also  killed by the
cold along with many other forms of marine life.
Similar death of corals occurred during the 1997-98 worldwide el
Nino. Coral biologist Ian Mcdonald was there to investigate that
event.  Ok Ian, Your turn. Gene
--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor