[Coral-List] Algae and nutrients and herbivory in oligotrophic waters

Thomas Goreau goreau at bestweb.net
Wed Jun 18 13:06:19 EDT 2008

Dear Imam,

Very few of the studies on herbivory and algae are any good, because
only a tiny handful have made accurate nutrient measurements. When
this is done properly it is clear that nutrients drive algae
productivity and herbivory is only a secondary factor, because
grazers prefer to eat some species and avoid others. I've looked at
the zonation of algae species in reefs all around the world and these
are sharply zoned by nutrients in ways that clearly reveal the
sources. Every place I've looked with nutrient sources are dominated
by algae whether or not herbivores are present (and herbivore always
dominate the fish where there are nutrient sources, whether these are
from human land-based sources or from upwelling), and algae are
absent or rare where there are no nutrient sources, again whether or
not there are herbivores (which there rarely are).  This is the exact
opposite of what top-downers predict.

As far as coralivores go, I also think the popular conceptions are
often erroneous. Most alleged coral eating is much less than is
claimed. Butterflyfish mostly just suck off surface mucus and there
is little or no physical damage to polyps. Parrotfish that are
allegedly biting coral are almost inevitably biting algae growing on
dead coral, and avoiding the coral tissue, as you can see if you look
closely where they bite. The popular claims that parrotfish eat coral
is probably largely untrue, and much of their biting of corals is
really territorial marking the boundaries of breeding territories
rather than for food. Almost every time you look where a bumphead
parrotfish or Napoleon wrasse has bitten into large bubble  coral
colonies, you will see the tubes of the burrowing clams and worms
inside the coral that they were really eating rather than coral tissue.

I'll talk a bit about this at the next Gili Trawangan workshop in
early December. Look forward to continuing to work with you there and
other sites around Lombok. My best to all my friends in Bogor.

Best wishes,
Tom

Thomas J. Goreau, PhD
President