[Coral-List] More RDM stuff

thaddeus nicholls rockjock14 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 22 15:04:44 EDT 2008

Hello all,
In my first message I mentioned that fish were present on the reefs at Akumal and Chemuyil, but didn't mention which ones... I didn't get actual counts, but angelfish, durgeons, damselfish, butterfly fish, grunts, snappers, tangs, wrasses, triggerfish, tiger and coral groupers, and squirrelfish were all identified on the dives in 2005.  Anecdotal accounts claim that the waters there have been overfished, and published work (Roy 2004) has stated that grazing rates were the same at Akumal in 2004 as they were in Jamaica in the late 80's (?!?!?!?!).  Diadema was present on the shallow fore reef at Akumal, but they were just babies (7-8 cm diameter), and only a few were observed.  Anyhow, any help with using the RDM to interpret my results would be helpful.  Thanks again!

Thaddeus Nicholls