[Coral-List] Algae and nutrients and herbivory in oligotrophicwaters

William Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 15:35:31 EDT 2008

Doug - Unless the situation has changed radically since April 2007, and
depending on what is meant by "tons of algae" I may disagree with your
statement (1) about Male but not with your general thesis. On the reef
surrounding Male, algal turf is abundant but not particularly luxuriant,
macroalgae scarce except for Halimeda and sometimes Dictyota (which comes
and goes in Male and elsewhere), corals are sparse and tend to cycle through
pretty quickly, and bioerosion is considerable - probably because the
dissolved and particulate nutrients favour algae and borers which are in
turn consumed by the many secondary bioeroders feeding on them. I suspect
that if grazing pressure was relaxed algae would become a much more
important component of benthic biomass but for the time being grazing seems
to be controlling it to some degree - at a price to the reef.

Bill

(1) "I find the observation that there is tons of algae around Male in the
Maldives where the people don't eat reef fish and there are plenty of
herbivorous fish, but the city releases tons of untreated sewage, is a
convincing demonstation of the effects of nutrients."