[Coral-List] Coral Lime used with betel nut

Edward Hind e.j.hind at newcastle.ac.uk
Sun Jun 22 16:58:26 EDT 2008

Dear Kim,

With regards to other sources of lime, I know that in the northern Cordillera provinces of the Philippines (which don't have access to the marine environment) that they scrape the lime from the inside of snail shells.  I haven't tasted coral or clam lime but I can full heartedly recommend the snail lime and it seems very poular with the Ifugao people of the region (perhaps a little too popular).  That said, I think you can use dead coral and shells to create the lime needed for chewing with the nut, which I guess would be less harmful than the effects on local snail populations,

Regards,

Edd Hind
e.j.hind at newcastle.ac.uk