[Coral-List] Rockin' for the Reefs!

Jim Hendee jim.hendee at noaa.gov
Tue Jun 24 08:12:53 EDT 2008

Greetings, Esteemed Colleagues & Friends of Coral-List!

    It's almost time!  It will be good to see you all again at the 11th
International Coral Reef Symposium, and aside from sharing all of our
research and opinions, I invite you all to meet at a Reef Fest special
event called Reef Rally, to be held Tuesday and Wednesday nights (July
8th and 9th) at the Alligator Alley Native Florida Taproom and Music
Hall, where you can listen to some really outstanding jazz, blues, rock
& roll, and reggae.  We're talkin' like /really/ good music here.  There
will be 10 bands over those two nights playing non-stop, from 6pm until
closing (late:thirty).  All 11ICRS participants are admitted no charge;
bus transportation will likewise be provided no charge to and from the
11ICRS Convention Center all night (round trip approximately 45
minutes); or, of course, you can drive there yourself:

Address:
  Alligator Alley
  1321 East Commercial Boulevard
  Oakland Park, FL  33334
  954 771-2220
  http://www.alligatoralleyflorida.com/
  *** Map & More Info:  http://www.reeffest.org/venue.php?venue_id=1

    What we hope you will do at this event (besides have a great time!)
is share your research and knowledge with an expected big turn-out from
the locals.  This is a great outreach opportunity for the local divers,
fishermen and boaters in South Florida--something most of them can not
gain through expensive attendance at the 11th ICRS.  This is a terrific
chance for you to communicate with them about the challenges and
solutions for coral conservation.  Wear your 11ICRS badge so they know
who you are!

    If you can come, it would be very helpful to get an idea of how many
of you plan to attend so we can make sure to accommodate everybody:
please send a little message to participate at reeffest.org.

    Share your knowledge and Rock the Reefs!  See you there!

    Cheers,
    Jim

P.S.  For more info on Reef Fest, including how you can throw your own
concert for coral conservation, visit:  http://www.reeffest.org.  Other
Reef Fest events coming soon during the International Year of the Reef
2008:  Nashville, Austin, Denver, Oakland Park (Jaco Pastorius Park),
West Palm, St. Croix, the Florida Keys, and more.